There are a number of options you may wish to consider if you decide to move on from your tenancy with us.

Choice based lettings

You may be eligible to apply for housing through a choice based letting scheme, which advertises the majority of local authority and housing association vacancies in an area. The chances of you finding a new home through this route will depend on your housing need. This is assessed as part of the registration process and affects your ability to bid for properties. To apply for a home through a choice based lettings scheme, you should register for housing with the local authority of the area you want to live in.


A transfer is when you move to another home owned by Hastoe. As we work in partnership with local authorities to let our homes, we have limited opportunities to provide transfers outside of the local letting schemes. However, you can still discuss the possibility of a transfer with your Area Housing Manager.

To be accepted for a transfer you must have a good tenancy record, meaning your rent account is up to day, your home is in good condition and there must be no history of anti social behaviour or other management issues.

We don’t keep a transfer list to register for a move, so we recommend that you apply to go on the local authority housing waiting list. This gives you access to a far wider range of properties than just Hastoe’s. For more information about transfers in your area please contact us or speak to your Area Housing Manager.

Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is when two or more tenants, from a housing association or local authority, swap homes by legally assigning their tenancies to each other. This means that you pass on your tenancy to the person moving into your home and take over their tenancy for their home. You must make sure that you have read the tenancy that you will be taking on to ensure that you fully understand the conditions you are accepting.

We are registered with, who are free for you to use to help you find people to swap with.

There are other websites available but many charge for this service. Most local authorities and housing associations also keep an exchange list that can be viewed at their office.

 When you have found a tenant to exchange with:

  • Please complete the mutual exchange application form and send it to your Area Housing Manager
  • We will check your tenancy to make sure you do not owe any rent
  • We will inspect your property
  • Both landlords will write a report on their tenant
  • Both landlords must agree on whether the exchange can take place. We may refuse an exchange if the property is too big or too small for the incoming tenant
  • Both landlords will write to you to inform you of the decision made
  • If agreed, both tenants will need to sign an Assignment. These are the legal papers needed to make the exchange legal.

Please note: many of our homes are built specifically to house people with a connection to the local area, such as working or having family nearby. These homes will normally have restrictions around who can live in them, meaning the person you wish to exchange with would need to meet the local connection criteria. If you are unsure, please contact us to find out whether this applies to your home.


Succession allows a tenant, on their death, to pass on their tenancy to a spouse, partner or other close family member. Not everyone is able to succeed to a tenancy. We can give more information on this.


You are not allowed to assign your tenancy (transfer your tenancy rights to another person), without our written permission or the permission of a court.


Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Browsealoud Browsealoud
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size