If you smell gas or think you have a gas leak:
- Call the Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 (in the phone book under Gas).
Use a phone outside of your home – even using a mobile inside could spark an explosion
- Turn off the gas supply. Turn the handle at the meter to the horizontal position
- Open doors and windows
- Do not smoke
- Do not turn any light switches or electrical equipment on or off until the problem is fixed
- Check if a gas appliance has been left on or a pilot light has blown out.
Fire or smoke
- If you smell or see smoke or a fire call 999 or 112 immediately
- Make sure everyone leaves the property right away
- If there is no sign of smoke or fire, check whether the alarm has been set off by something else.
An electrical emergency includes fittings or appliances sparking, flickering, giving off shocks or there being no electricity at all. It is especially dangerous if water is leaking onto electrical fittings.
- Do not touch bare wires, or sockets or switches
- Turn the power off at the mains by switching the consumer unit to OFF
- If you have a power cut, call the emergency number given in the phone book or on your electricity bill.
If you have a water leak in your home:
- Turn off the mains stop tap by turning it to the right (clockwise) to stop the flow of water
- If you need to shut off the supply of water to a fitting, such as a toilet or basin, you can use the isolation valve on the pipe leading to it (if there is one fitted) by using a screwdriver
- Contact us to report it as a repair
- If you have no water supply coming into the property, phone your local water company. You will find the number in the phone book or on your latest water bill
- If you are at risk of flooding, call FLOODLINE on 0845 988 1188.
To help prevent emergencies from happening in your home, you must check your property regularly to keep it in good order. You should:
- Test your smoke detector every week and change the battery every 12 months
- Check your main stop tap every six months
- Check the whole water system (pipes, radiators etc) for minor leaks every three months
- Check plugs and flexes every month for wear and tear
- Lubricate hinges on windows and doors regularly.