Number of homes: 9
- 4 for rent
- 5 for shared ownership to help first-time buyers onto the housing ladder
All nine homes are prioritised for people with a local connection to Southwold such as those working in the town, those with close family in the area, or those who previously lived there but had to move out because of a lack of affordable housing.
Work started on site: 28 March 2019
Completed: June 2021
- Hastoe: £2,351,922
- Community Housing Fund: £380,000
- Homes England grant: £387,500
- SouthGen: £1,200,000
- Local authority: East Suffolk
- Charitable community benefit society: SouthGen
- Architect: Wellington & Modece Architects
- Contractor: Wellington Construction Ltd
- Employer’s Agent: Potter Raper
Southwold’s iconic cottage hospital was built and funded by local people almost 120 years ago. As a listed building, great care was taken during the works to restore as many of the original features as possible, with the Edwardian façade returned to its former glory.
The development includes a creative community hub for local people to enjoy, breathing new life into the area by providing a new home for the town’s library, a nursery, space for local businesses, and a farm-to-fork café.
Highly Commended in the Community category of East Suffolk Council’s Quality of Place Awards 2023
Finalist in the 'Most Innovative Partnership' category of the Digital Housing Innovation Awards 2023
Shortlisted in the Housing Design Awards 2022
Winner of 'Best Community or Rural Partnership’ in the Inside Housing Development Awards 2019