Hastoe is supporting Gas Safety Week 2019 between 16 – 22 September to help raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances are dangerous as they can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
You can’t see carbon monoxide, you can’t taste it, and you can’t even smell it. But it’s a highly poisonous gas that can kill without warning in just a matter of hours. That’s why getting your appliance serviced each year is so important, as it’s your first line of defence against carbon monoxide poisoning.
Hastoe will service your gas appliances annually - please give our contractors access to carry out these checks. If you have any concerns about this you can contact us.
Here are some more simple tips to help keep you and your family safe:
- Check for warning signs that could indicate appliances are not working correctly. Signs may include lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm and make sure your friends and relatives have one too (but make sure they are marked EN50291 and display the British Standards’ Kitemark). However, whilst Carbon monoxide alarms are a useful back-up precaution, they must NOT be regarded as a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas equipment by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Visit Gas Safety Week to find out more about how you can stay gas safe.