Gas Safety

Be Safe, Be Warm
As a leaseholder or shared owner, you are responsible for the maintenance of all gas appliances and flues in your property. You should have them checked for safety at least once every 12 months.

If you sublet your property, as a landlord, you actually have a legal responsibility to your tenant under the Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998. You must ensure that an annual safety check is carried out on each appliance and/or flue that you provide for tenants use, and that a record of each safety check is kept for at least 2 years.

Click on the link below to find out about 'The Law on Gas Safety' from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE):
Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Website - Gas Law

Leaseholders and homeowners should ensure a Gas Safe Registered engineer checks their appliances. The HSE also publishes some guidance on how to keep gas appliances safe and your responsibilities as a landlord.  Please click on the link below which includes leaflets in alternative languages and an audio version:

You must use a Gas Safe Registered engineer to carry out safety checks and related work.
You can get more information from:

Gas Safe RegisterGas Safe Logo
Telephone: 0800 408 5500
Post: PO Box 6804, Basingstoke, RG24 4NB

If you suspect that you have a gas leak:

• Call National Grid (formerly Transco) anytime free of charge on 0800 111 999.
Minicom/Textphone is provided for the deaf and hard of hearing on 0800 371 787.
• Don't turn electric switches on or off, smoke or use naked flames.
• Do turn off the gas supply at the meter, open doors and windows to get rid of the gas.
• Do open doors and windows to get rid of the gas.
Related Files
To view some of the documents on this website you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download it now (opens in a new window)
Shift Silver 2018 Investors in People Positive About Disabled People Passiv Haus Trust